DE EN NL
Book
your holiday
Book

Castle and park form an impressive ensemble, which towers majestically above the valley of the Unstrut River between Nebra and Freyburg.

This unique impression, which dominates the landscape, is caused by the complex baroque garden design of the hillside in front of the castle, with symmetrical walkways, several sculptures, cut trees and a central grotto. Those design elements give the terrace garden an Italian charm.
After a changeful history and different owners, the castle, which was first mentioned in the 9th century, Levin von der Schulenburg purchased the castle in 1722. He charged the Saxon master builder David Schatz with the transformation of the castle into a baroque palace.
Originally planned with four wings, only the north and east wing of the baroque building were constructed, the south and west wing, built in renaissance style were conserved until today.

The palatial garden with terraced hillside and grotto, which was created in dependence on the Thetis Grotto of Versailles, is surrounded by a canal, which is fed by the Unstrut River. The grass slopes of the terrace garden are decorated with eleven big statues of the Altenburg sculptor 
Joseph Blühme, which symbolize the particular months. The former baroque pleasure garden, which lies at the foot of the hillside, was redesigned in landscape style at the end of the 18th century and houses an impressive population of old trees.

Anna Constantia of Brockdorff, the later countess of Cosel and mistress of “August der Starke“, the elector of Saxony, probably belongs to the most famous inhabitants of Burgscheidungen. She lived in the castle from 1699 to 1705 with her husband Adolph Magnus of Hoym, who was the former
owner of the castle.

In the autumn of 1945, the family von der Schulenburg was expropriated because of the land reform. As a result, the castle was left to the labour union “FDGB“ as recreation home in 1946. Since 1951, under the “Ernst Thälmann“, it was used as school for leaders of pioneer groups
of the FDJ organization. From 1955 to 1990 it was in possession of the CDU (Christian Democratic Union), which used the castle as training centre.

Since 2008 the castle is again in private ownership and is fondly reconstructed step by step. Visitations and events of all kinds, such as weddings,
birthday parties and conferences are possible since that time.

Opening Times
park freely accessible year-round

Contact
Schloss Burgscheidungen
Schlossbergstraße 56
06636 Laucha, OT Burgscheidungen
phone: +49 (0) 1805-37 28 36
info@schloss-burgscheidungen.de
www.schloss-burgscheidungen.de