It was once the centre of medieval court culture, and was later used as an electoral residence and hunting castle. The Romantic double chapel was created in the 13th century during the time when St Elisabeth was in attendance there.
Today the castle courtyard houses a wine museum which illustrates the history of winegrowing in Saale and Unstrut for visitors. Younger guests of the castle are taken back to the past in historic costume in the “Kinderkemenate” or “children’s chambers”.
Here they can learn about the history of the old castle the fun way dressed as princes, knights or noblewomen.
The largest castle of the landgraves of Thuringia was established in around 1090 by Ludwig the Springer. Neuenburg Castle was once the centre of medieval court culture and was later an electoral residence and hunting castle of the dukes of Sachsen-Weißenfels. Romanesque double chapel, history museum, Romanesque keep, wine museum, children’s chambers, old coach house, museum shop.
Daily 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Stiftung Dome und Schlösser in Sachsen-Anhalt
Museum Schloss Neuenburg
06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)
phone: +49 (0) 34464 35530
fax: +49 (0) 34464 35555