In 1543 Pforte Abbey became known as Schulpforte, because the duke and later elector Moritz von Sachsen set up one of three special state educational institutions – state schools – in the former abbey buildings. The idea was for 150 gifted boys to receive an excellent education here, and later serve the state as teachers, scientists, officials or Protestant clerics.
Generations of schoolboys, including numerous eminent alumni (e.g. Ranke, Fichte, Nietzsche, Klopstock), demonstrate not only the success of this project, but also the foresight of the territorial ruler for investing in the education of young people. Until 1815 the school was Saxon, and then as a result of the resolutions of the Congress of Vienna it came under Prussian dominion and especially flourished in the 19th century.
From 1935 to 1945 it was a National Political Institute of Education (a secondary level boarding school) and then during the time of the German Democratic Republic it became an extended secondary school. It remained true to its claim to deliver good results. Since 1990 the Pforta state school has once again been a secondary level boarding school, funded by the state of Saxony-Anhalt.
Daily 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.