Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Bismarck Tower Weißenfels

© Copyright by SCHAU! Multimedia

Description:

The tower in Weißenfels was completed in 1907.

The Bismarck Tower Committee for the construction of the tower was founded under the chairmanship of the Lord Mayor of Weißenfels Wadehn and the lawyer Junge. It was decided to build the tower on the Klemmberg. The laying of the foundation stone of the monument took place on April 1, 1906, and the inauguration took place in the presence of 12,000 people from Weißenfels on August 25, 1907. The total construction costs of the 21 m
The tower in Weißenfels was completed in 1907.

The Bismarck Tower Committee for the construction of the tower was founded under the chairmanship of the Lord Mayor of Weißenfels Wadehn and the lawyer Junge. It was decided to build the tower on the Klemmberg. The laying of the foundation stone of the monument took place on April 1, 1906, the inauguration took place in the presence of 12,000 people from Weißenfels on August 25, 1907. Altogether the construction costs of the 21 m (according to other information 19 m) high Bismarck Tower amounted to the then enormous sum of 21,800 Marks. Originally, only one Bismarck column was to be built because the funds of the city administration were not sufficient. However, a voluntary donation campaign supported by large parts of the citizens of Weißenfels was able to raise the necessary funds for the construction of the tower. After the foundation of the German Democratic Republic in 1949, the Bismarck relief and the four eagles were removed and the tower was named after the theologian, mathematician and astronomer Johannes Kepler (1571-1630). After the reunification the tower got its name back. The tower had been open to visitors until the early 1980s, when it was closed due to damage to the stairs. Since 2006, the Weißenfels Bismarck Tower has been undergoing renovation. The non-profit Weißenfels Bismarck Tower Association, founded on 26 October 2005, is responsible for this. The town of Weißenfels, major sponsors and citizens of Weißenfels support the restoration of the monument. In the course of the step-by-step restoration, the tower dome was completed in 2007, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the tower, and the tower was accessible again. The four eagles, which were removed in GDR times, came back to the tower in pairs in May 2010 and in June 2012.

Audio guides can be borrowed free of charge. 
 Read more
April to October:
every second Sunday of the month 14:00 - 17:00
every last Sunday of the month 14:00 - 17:00
  • for all weathers
  • for school classes
  • for families
  • for individual guests
  • for children (6-10 years)
  • for children (from 10 years)
  • Cash payment
1,00 € per person
Weißenfels is extensively integrated into the supra-regional traffic network by car, train, bus or plane. Important federal highways cross here.

The city on the Saale River has motorway connections to the A 9 A 38 and is only about 35 km from Leipzig-Halle Airport.

The train station is located directly in the city centre. Also in the city centre is the bus station.

By bike Weißenfels can be reached directly via the Saaleradweg.

Directions to the tower: Erich-Lattermann-Straße/Bismarckstraße, 06667 Weißenfels

Where:

Address:

Weißenfelser Bismarck Tower e.V.

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing