Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Double Chapel Landsberg

© Copyright by Transmedial

Description:

Like a Romanesque residential tower, the double chapel "Sanctae Crucis" today sits lonely above Landsberg.

Once the castle chapel of the residence castle of the margraves of the Saxon Ostmark, it is today the most striking witness to Landsberg's medieval history. The former castle chapel belongs to the type of Romanesque double chapels as described by Oskar Schürer in his monograph "Romanische Doppelkapellen" (Romanesque Double Chapels) in 1929. It is one of the largest preserved double chapels and is considered to be a special
Like a Romanesque residential tower, the double chapel "Sanctae Crucis" today sits lonely above Landsberg.

Once the castle chapel of the residence castle of the margraves of the Saxon Ostmark, it is today the most striking witness to Landsberg's medieval history. The former castle chapel belongs to the type of Romanesque double chapels as described by Oskar Schürer in his monograph "Romanische Doppelkapellen" (Romanesque Double Chapels) in 1929. It is one of the largest preserved double chapels and is described as a particularly noble complex. Experts equate it with the imperial double chapels in the castles of Nuremberg and Cheb or even put it ahead of them. Both art-historical and regional historical aspects indicate that the double chapel could not have been built together with the castle around 1170, but at the earliest around 1200 in its present form. Even today, mature decorative forms and an overwhelming spatial composition testify to the power and prestige of Margrave Konrad von Landsberg (around 1160 - 1210), to whom this building can be attributed.

Today, the Landsberg double chapel is used in a varied and diverse way. Informative guided tours of the mountain and castle history by employees of the Landsberg museum "Bernhard Brühl", which are extended to city tours several times a year, give the visitor a vivid picture of the former size and importance of the place. In addition, the double chapel provides the charming backdrop for atmospheric concerts and readings.

The Protestant community of the Landsberg town church "St. Nicolai" meets monthly from June to September for services in the Romanesque double chapel. Baptisms, confirmations and weddings are also performed by the Landsberg Protestant parish office in the double chapel. The Landsberg registry office offers, besides other representative buildings for weddings, also weddings in the double chapel.
 Read more
Unfortunately the double chapel will remain closed until 30.06.2020.

Where:

Address:

Double chapel and Museum Landsberg

Hillerstrasse 8
06188 Landsberg
Phone: +49 34602 / 20690
E-mail: doppelkapelle-landsberg@gmx.net
website: http://www.stadt-landsberg.de/tourismus/doppelkapelle/

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing