Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Princely House

© Copyright by E.S.-Photography

Description:

With its baroque face, the Princely House is one of the most representative houses in the city

The Weißenfels princely house was built from 1673 onwards by Johann Moritz Richter, the master builder of Neu-Augustusburg Palace, on behalf of Duke August von Sachsen-Weißenfels. It served primarily as the official residence and residence of particularly high-ranking court officials. The building extends over two and a half storeys and three wings. The representative façade is characterized by various decorative elements
With its baroque face, the Princely House is one of the most representative houses in the city

The Weißenfels princely house was built from 1673 onwards by Johann Moritz Richter, the master builder of Neu-Augustusburg Palace, on behalf of Duke August von Sachsen-Weißenfels. It served primarily as the official residence and residence of particularly high-ranking court officials. The building extends over two and a half storeys and three wings. The representative façade is decorated and structured by various decorative elements. For example, pillars, a bay window-like projection in the middle of the building and a side passageway portal. Above this are figures representing Minerva and Mercury. Inside the Princely House there are numerous stucco decorations. The central hall of the first floor is particularly richly decorated. Here there is a nine-panel ceiling, which was designed around 1680 on the model of the ceiling in the Banqueting House of London's Whitehall Palace. In the centre of the ceiling there is a painted representation of Hercules as the lord over war and peace. In the other fields there are representations of the four seasons and the four elements. The floral and ornamental stucco work on the ceiling and the wall division is probably by Giovanni Caroveri. After the extinction of the Ducal line of Saxony-Weissenfels, the house was used for a variety of purposes, including as a silk factory along with the adjacent buildings. Today it houses the Weißenfels registry office, which was voted one of the 10 most beautiful in all of Germany. There is a restaurant on the ground floor. 
 Read more
Guided tours: every last Sunday of the month, 14:00
  • for all weathers
  • for school classes
  • for families
  • for individual guests
  • Suitable for seniors
  • Suitable for prams
  • for children (6-10 years)
  • Cash payment
  • WC facility
  • Disabled access
Guided tours of the Princely House: 4 € per person
Weißenfels is extensively integrated into the supra-regional transport network by car, train, bus or plane. Important federal highways cross here. The city on the Saale river has motorway connections to the A 9 A 38.

The distance to Leipzig-Halle Airport is only about 35 km.

The train station is located directly in the city centre. Also in the city centre is the bus station.

By bike Weißenfels can be reached directly via the Saaleradweg.

Where:

Address:

City of Weißenfels

Leipziger Strasse 9
06667 Weissenfels
website: http://www.weissenfels.de/de/fuerstenhaus.html

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing