Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

City church St. Mauritius Bad Sulza

© Copyright by Kurgesellschaft Heilbad Bad Sulza mbH

Description:

The city church St. Mauritius got its name from the Saint Mauritius.

The St.-Mauritius-Church of Bad Sulza was mainly victim of a city fire in the year 1714. It was rebuilt in a simple baroque style and could be consecrated again in 1717. From 1722 to 1726, the west tower was added and in the latter year it was equipped with new bells. The tower is dominated by a weather vane with the coat of arms of the Ernestine line of the Wettin
The city church St. Mauritius got its name from the Saint Mauritius.

The St.-Mauritius-Church of Bad Sulza was mainly victim of a city fire in the year 1714. It was rebuilt in a simple baroque style and could be consecrated again in 1717. From 1722 to 1726, the west tower was added and in the latter year it was equipped with new bells. The tower is crowned by a weather vane with the coat of arms of the Ernestine line of the Wettins and the dates 1726, 1949, 1992 as well as the initials Wilhelm Ernst Herzog zu Sachsen. Of the various predecessor buildings, the first of which belonged to the Romanesque period as the so-called "Salt Chapel", only a few remnants remain. These are most clearly visible in the originally Gothic polygonal choir. But also some other windows and wall remains, especially in the south wall, which have been added today, bear witness to the repeated rebuilding of the church. Under the choir there is a crypt, whose practically "free-standing" vault supports the present-day chancel. The interior of the church is a simple hall, which is also essentially baroque. It contains three galleries, the uppermost of which is circumferential, the second carries an organ built in 1883 by Adam Eifert in Stadtilm on the west side. This originally romantic instrument was baroqueised through several alterations, especially in the 60s and 70s, and restored in 1999 for over 100,000 DM. In the slightly recessed and elevated choir room there is a baroque pulpit by the Italian stucco artist Abondio Minetti. The free-standing refectory rises above a pulpit with three openings on the ground floor. In front of it there is a simple, modern altar, with the baptismal font to the right. On the left side is a modern small organ, which was donated to the parish by Sister Margarete Berlin in 1976. Behind the pulpit, two choir windows open to the east, which were colourfully painted by a foundation of Carl Spaeter in 1908 and which depict New Testament parables. On the south wall of the church is a Pieta by the Bad Sulzaer painter Karl Hohlfeld in memory of the victims of the two world wars.

In 2018 a restoration of the interior of our church was completed. In 2005, the tower roof and the upper part of the nave were newly sloped, and also in 2005 we restored our crypt with donations from the Sparkasse. Further donations enabled us to purchase the two chandeliers. Through the members of the Förderverein St.Mauritius e.V. a drainage was laid around the church, the masonry was plastered. In 2008-2010 the remaining roof areas were newly slated. The electrics and lighting of our church were renewed. Also this year the Förderverein St.Mauritius e.V. tries to beautify the church and to secure its preservation by voluntary work on the weekends.
 Read more
open church from 10:00 - 17:00
  • for all weathers
  • for school classes
  • for families
  • for individual guests
  • Suitable for seniors
  • WC facility
  • Disabled WC
free admission
The church is easily accessible on foot, by bicycle or by car.

Input address for navigation: Kirchstr. 12, 99518 Bad Sulza

Where:

Address:

Protestant - Lutheran Parish Bad Sulza

Kirchstr. 12
99518 Bad Sulza
Phone: +49 36461 20432
E-mail: pfarramt@kirchebadsulza.de
website: http://www.kirchebadsulza.de/

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing