Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

City tour Freyburg

Tour dates

easy

4.6 km

01:22 h

109 m

210 m

107 m

117 m
 
Height profile

Description:

Discover sights and historical places in Freyburg (Unstrut)

Tour Highlights:

1 Market
Around the market are the town hall, hotels, restaurants and the Freyburger Fremdenverkehrsverein e. V. In the past, the gilded equestrian monument of Duke Christian of Saxony-Weißenfels stood on the square. The torso of the monument, which was destroyed in 1948, is now in the courtyard of Neuenburg Castle.
The former location is marked by a metal enclosure with
Discover sights and historical places in Freyburg (Unstrut)

Tour Highlights:

1 Market
Around the market are the town hall, hotels, restaurants and the Freyburger Fremdenverkehrsverein e. V. In the past, the gilded equestrian monument of Duke Christian of Saxony-Weißenfels stood on the square. The torso of the monument, which was destroyed in 1948, is now in the courtyard of Neuenburg Castle.
The former location is marked by a metal frame with an inscription when the market square was redesigned in 2003 as part of an architectural competition under the motto "Tuscany of the North".

2 City Hall
The foundation stone for the town hall, which rests on Romanesque foundations and vaulted cellars, was laid in 1425. Today's appearance is marked by reconstructions after the town fires of 1551 and 1682, which also severely damaged the town hall.
...had been affected.
Market 1, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

3 St. Mary's Town Church
The construction of the late Romanesque church, which is also called the "sister" of the Naumburg Cathedral, falls in the period between 1210 - 1230 and was probably initiated by the Thuringian landgrave Ludwig IV. (reigned from 1217-1227). The church is Romanesque at its core. At the beginning of the 15th century the apse was demolished and replaced by a Gothic choir. The southern side apse also fell victim to an attached sacristy. At the end of the 15th century, the nave was demolished and replaced by a hall nave.
Kirchstraße 8, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)
May - October: Mon. - Fri. 10.00 - 12.00 h, 14.00 - 16.00 h
Sat./Sun./Holiday 2.00 - 4.00 p.m.

4 Schlifter vineyard
The vineyard with its historic vineyard cottage is one of the steepest terraced vineyards in the region with a slope up to 54%. Due to the breathtaking view from the steep slopes, it is a popular photo motif for guests.
It is also home to a so-called "Prominent Vineyard", where all German and local wine majesties as well as important guests of the town of Freyburg were allowed to plant a vine.

5 Firing range
The first documented news from 20.08.1603 "Ordnung und Gesetzt" (order and law) contains 28 shooting articles. In that year the 1st shooting guild of Freyburg was founded. In 1659 the shooting guild acquired the meadow "Hinterm Schlag" as a shooting range, where a "Schießhaus" already stood. Today's shooting house was completely renovated in 1996 and is available to guests as a venue for events. Until today the Freyburger Schützenverein 1603 e. V. uses the cellar shooting range.
Schützenstraße 6, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

6 Jahn Hall of Honour
Inaugurated in 1903, the building served as the first Jahn Museum and a memorial to the German gymnastics festivals. The artistically designed, leaded glass windows were donated by the cities that hosted the gymnastics festivals. Today it serves as a popular venue for festivals, conferences and clubs. Opposite Schützenstraße 9, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

7 City fortification
The city wall, which is still largely preserved today, once had three city gates (Kirchtor, Obertor, Eckstädter Tor), a gate and 14 towers and is about 1200 m long. The three gates connected the town with its former suburbs/villages. The petrification of the city fortification took place piece by piece in the 14th and 15th centuries.

8 Jahn Memorial Gym
It was built during the Empire by the German Gymnastics Association (DT) as a tomb for Friedrich Ludwig Jahn and was ceremoniously inaugurated in 1894 in the presence of 3,000 gymnasts from all over Germany. Later it was donated to the city of Freyburg with the condition,
that it is used exclusively for gymnastics. Today it is a training facility for clubs and school sports.
Oberstraße 9, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

9 Winegrowers' Association Freyburg-Unstrut e.G.
On 28.12.1934, a community of Freyburg winegrowers joined forces to secure grape processing and cellar operations under their own management. The 27 founding members brought 31 hectares into the association. Today there are 400 members who cultivate about 400 hectares of vineyards. In the "Freyburger Weingalerie", guests are given comprehensive advice on Saale-Unstrut wine. Something special are the wine tastings in the ANISIUM, which are crowned with a guided tour through one of the most beautiful wooden barrel cellars in Germany.
Querfurter Straße 10, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)
Wine gallery: Mon. - Fri. 07.00 - 18.00 hrs
Sat. 10.00 - 18.00, Sun. 10.00 - 16.00

10 Rotkäppchen Sparkling Wine Cellars
Since 1856, the Rotkäppchen Sektkellerei has been preparing sparkling wine of perfect quality. Today, Rotkäppchen-Mumm Sektkellereien is one of the leading sparkling wine producers in Germany. Particularly worth seeing in the historic sparkling wine cellar are the historic atrium built around the turn of the century, the five-storey cellar complex and the mighty cathedral cellar with the largest cuvée wood barrel in Germany.
Sektkellereistraße 5, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

11 Eckstadt Gate
The gate with tower and gate bastion is located in the southwest of the city and connected it with the Eckstädter Vorstadt. The south side of the front gate is in the residential house Eckstädter Platz 10. The Eckstädter gate itself was built / fossilized in 1385 and consisted of a front gate, a Pfanghof and a main gate next to the tower. The northern part of the catch gate (barbican) is still preserved.

12 Napoleon's Gate
The gate was located until 1888 in the south of the city wall in the direction of the Unstrut. The gate tower was converted into a residential building. Since the passage of Napoleon in 1813 it has been
"Napoleonpforte" called, because from this place he is said to have directed the crossing of his troops over the Unstrut.

13 Castle mill
The mill, which once belonged to the Neuenburg, was built at the end of the 11th century. In 1632, the Saxon Elector Johann Georg had a new mill building erected. It was used as a fulling, oil, saw and grain mill. At the end of the 19th century, turbines were installed to generate electricity. Since 2015, hydroelectricity has been generated here again. In the restaurant you can enjoy delicious food and wines from the Saale-Unstrut region.
enjoy.
Mühlstraße 10, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

14 Ducal vineyard
The terraced vineyard below Neuenburg Castle, with its striking rococo vineyard house, is a landmark of the region. In its current form, it represents a baroque vineyard as it was created at the end of the 18th century.
Mühlstraße 23, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)
Wine bar: April - October: Mon. - Thu. 12.00 - 18.00 hrs.
Fri. - Sun. 12.00 - 19.00 hrs

15 Neuenburg Castle
The castle was founded around 1090 by the Thuringian count "Ludwig der Springer" and magnificently expanded in the 12th/13th century under the landgraves of Thuringia. The Romanesque double chapel is an architectural highlight. In Renaissance and Baroque
the castle as a hunting lodge of Saxon princes.
Castle 1, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

16 Friedrich Ludwig Jahn Museum
The museum, which has been housed in the home of "Turnvater Jahn" since the 1936 Olympic Games, documents the life of the founder of the German gymnastics movement. Jahn, who had lived in Freyburg since 1825 (initially in political exile), was buried in the house's courtyard of honour in 1936.
Castle street 11, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)
April to October: Tue - Sun 10.00 - 17.00
November to March: Tue - Sat 10.00 - 16.00
Due to current construction work, opening hours may vary.

17 Church gate
The southeastern town gate of Freyburg, which connected the town with the church suburb, was demolished in 1861 for the construction of a new schoolhouse with associated stairs. The courthouse cellar and the courthouse staircase were later named after the district court, which was established in the schoolhouse after 1880.
Height Jahnplatz 1, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

18 Rectorate and local court
The original core building of the rectorate dates from the 2nd quarter of the 16th century. Peter Leinewetter is recorded as the first rector in 1555. He moved into an apartment on the upper floor. A boys' school was established on the ground floor, and a short time later a "Magtleinschule" was also established. In 1834, the boys' school moved into new classrooms in the town hall due to lack of space. Over the years, the town needed much more space for all the inquisitive children of the town. In 1861 a new school building was built to the right of the
Knabenschule the foundation stone for the new school and the later district court was laid and inaugurated 2 years later. Less than 20 years later, the district court moved in and today's Friedrich Ludwig Jahn School was opened. Since then, the Old Rector's Office served as a residential building until the 1980s. Today the building houses a library.
Behind the church 2, 06632 Freyburg (Unstrut)

 Read more
  • Difficulty: easy
  • Condition: medium
  • always open

Tour itinerary:

Contact:

Freyburger Tourist Association e.V.

Market 2
06632 Freyburg
Phone: +49 34464 / 27260
E-mail: kontakt@freyburg.info
website: http://www.freyburg-tourismus.de/

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing