Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

City walk Mücheln

© Copyright by Falko Matte
Tour dates

easy

5 km

03:00 h

95 m

189 m

9 m

103 m
 
Height profile

Description:

Discover sights and historical places in Mücheln (Geiseltal).

Tour Highlights:

1 Church St. Micheln
The Lutheran Church of St. Michael (1128, consecration 1180) is late Romanesque and since 2018 part of the "Romanesque Road". The tower (height 25m) with hipped roof and Romanesque arcaded windows preserves the oldest bell of Mücheln, called "The Humble". Sights (outside): a four-spoked wheel cross (pre-Christian, east gable of the choir), animal figure (tower
Discover sights and historical places in Mücheln (Geiseltal).

Tour Highlights:

1 Church St. Micheln
The Lutheran Church of St. Michael (1128, consecration 1180) is late Romanesque and since 2018 part of the "Romanesque Road". The tower (height 25m) with hipped roof and Romanesque arcaded windows preserves the oldest bell of Mücheln, called "The Humble". Sights (outside): a four-spoked wheel cross (pre-Christian, east gable of the choir), animal figure (tower south side) with the inscription "Das Kirchenhunt" and an incised bishop's consecration cross (east side). In the interior (18th century) there is a Renaissance baptismal font (limestone) and a baptismal stand with reading desk attachment (pelican depiction, 18th century).

Kirchweg, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)
Jutta Müller, Tel.: 034632 21520, www.evkirchenmuecheln.de

2 The Geiselquelle and the mill buildings
The Geisel springs from the Geiselquelle in St. Micheln. Situated in a charming landscape, the spring with Kneipp path invites you to visit. The Geisel once drove 17 water mills on its course to Merseburg. Today it flows after 2.5 km into the Geiseltalsee. Of the former 6 mills in Mücheln, 5 mill buildings can still be visited from the outside. Starting from the idyllically situated source of the Geisel, the hiker will find the 12 Apostle Springs after about 1 km.

At the source, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)

3 Elbert mill
(see information board at the access road to the mill)

Reitergasse 11, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)

4 Apel mill
(see information board on site)

Apostelstraße 8, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)

5 Church of St. Ulrich
The church was built from 1790 (consecration 1795) in baroque style according to plans of the Merseburg collegiate master builder J.W. Chrysellius (master builder of the Bad Lauchstadt spa and bath facilities). Original furnishings: a patronage box room appropriate to the style, an old offertory as well as grave slabs (Baroque) in the entrance room.

Lutherplatz, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)

6 Church mill
see information board on site

Lutherplatz 4, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)
Mr. König, Mobile: 0151 20687958

7 Water castle Ortisei
The moated castle of St. Ulrich (construction began after 1450) is a rare pile construction for the region and probably goes back to a former moated castle (12th century). The estate with Gothic and Renaissance elements is surrounded by a moat with hostage water. Interesting detail: square Renaissance oriel on a half-column with onion dome. In 1921-1925 the von Helldorff family had the moated castle rebuilt and embellished. Currently, the building is being extensively restored by the new owner and partly used as a residential building with rented apartments.

Castle Street, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)
Mr. Angermann, Mobile: 0176 84601123

8 Baroque Garden | Tea House | Landscape Park Ortisei
The baroque garden with adjoining landscape park (garden art of the 18th/19th/20th centuries) was laid out in 1720 by Baron von Breitenbauch. Terraced structure with flight of steps as access to the individual terraces and a classicist teahouse. 1921-1925 architecturally and horticulturally redesigned, after the 2nd World War for a long time.
neglected and dilapidated. Since 1993, the baroque garden has been partially and gradually restored. The tea house (faithful reconstruction 2016) is now a residential house and vinotheque, where smaller events and exhibitions take place. The adjacent landscape park (c. 1720, 10 ha, English style) has trees over 250 years old and has been a protected park since 1977. Since 2017, the Baroque Garden and Landscape Park have been part of the "Garden Dreams - Historical Parks in Saxony-Anhalt" network.

Parkhohle, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal),
www.teehaus-muecheln.de, freely accessible at all times

9 kreativMühle Ortisei
The former manor mill (first mentioned in 1461) used to be part of the ensemble consisting of the moated castle of St. Ulrich, the manor house and the castle church. Since 2013, it has been elaborately renovated with loving details and since mid 2019 has been home to three beautiful holiday apartments under the name "kreativMühle" and a kreativZENTRUM for creativity, exchange of ideas, meetings and events, workshops and the like. The electricity generated by the mill wheel is used for the outdoor lighting and the e-bike & mobile phone charging station accessible from the outside.

Hüttenwende 1, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)
kreativMühle: Mr. Liebmann, Mobile: 0176 80030798 www.lieblingsbleiben.de

10 Market Square | hist. City Hall | City Information
"Altes Postamt" | Regional Museum Market Square: The hillside location and the terraced structure are a rarity. During the redesign (1996-1999) an old market fountain was discovered. A water-spouting frog and other water features are a popular meeting place for young and old. Various inscriptions, house plaques and
Portals on the old town houses bear witness to the eventful history including wars, epidemics and fires.
Town Hall (1571, late Renaissance): Special features are the mighty, stepped tower with stone hollow spiral staircase, a semi-circular bay on the east side and the ornamental portal with its stone carvings (access to the courtyard and the council garden). The deep town hall cellars are laid out in 3 floors with pronounced barrel vaults and once served as beer storage.
Town information and regional museum are located next to the town hall in the "Alte Post". Here you can get information and tips for Mücheln and the surrounding area, guided tours on request. The regional museum (2nd floor) explains the history of the town and lignite mining in the Geiseltal.

Market, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal), Tel.: 034632 40111
www.muecheln.de

11 Remains of the city fortifications
Remains of a former "fort tower" bear witness to the former town wall, built after the granting of the town charter (1350). There were 3 town gates with protective towers and
another entrance for people only.

Scheunengasse, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)

12 Church of St. Jacob
The town church stands on the site of the former castle and received its present appearance in 1718 (after the town fire). Only the crypt has been preserved from the oldest parts of the church.
Ceiling vault). Worth seeing: baroque pulpit altar and mechanical Papenius organ (around 1750), small Madonna - on the outside (14th/15th century). During the Battle of Leipzig the church served as a military hospital (memorial stone in the town park, formerly a cemetery). The vicarage and the former deacon's office next to the church are among the oldest houses in the town.

Pfarrgasse 3, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal), Mrs. Eggert, mobile: 0176 / 82135341
Mon. - Fri. 8.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m. (Please report to house no. 3 opposite the church.)

13 Hohmann mill
(see information board on site)

Mühlstraße 21, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)

14 Viaduct - entrance to the city
The railway viaduct (Merseburg-Querfurt line, built 1960-1964) with its 7 arches (height 14.5m, length 271m) bears witness to a feat of engineering by the
at that time.

At the train station/Merseburger Str., 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)

15 Marina Mücheln
The marina (opened in 2008) attracts with idyllic holiday accommodations, 250 water berths as well as boat rental stations and is connected to the lake circuit (approx. 26 km, asphalted), which connects the most diverse tourist points of contact around the Geiseltalsee. The following can be reached from here: slip and crane facilities, bathing beach with beach volleyball courts, camping site, external ship moorings and the "Goldenen Steiger" vineyard. At the harbour square with harbour tower you will find the harbour information
in the Hafenkontor and pier building incl. snack bar, cafés and restaurants. Sufficient parking spaces available.

Port information, Hafenplatz 6, 06249 Mücheln (Geiseltal)
Tel: 034632 995910, www.geiseltalsee.de
May - September: Mon. - Fri. 09.00 - 17.00 hrs
Sat./Sun./Holiday 09.00 - 18.00 hrs
October - March: Mon. - Fri. 11.00 - 16.00 hrs.
Sat./Sun./Holiday 10.00 - 17.00 hrs

Bicycle rental incl. e-bikes and charging station:
April - October
 Read more

Tour itinerary:

Contact:

City information Mücheln

Market 20
06249 Mücheln (Hostage Valley)
Phone: +49 34632 40111
E-mail: info@saale-unstrut-tourismus.de
website: http://www.saale-unstrut-tourismus.de/

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing