Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

City tour Nebra

Tour dates

extremely lightweight

2.3 km

00:34 h

134 m

158 m

11 m

12 m
 
Height profile

Description:

Discover sights and historical places in Nebra

Tour Highlights:

1 Upper gate - Upper town
Travellers once passed through the Upper Gate from the heights of the Finne on an old trade route (the later Copper and Wine Route) to the Upper Town and on to the north.
Direction to the Unstrut. In the upper town there was the old castle (location 9) since about 1200, on whose place today the ruins of the Renaissance castle completed in 1601 can be seen.
is to be seen
Discover sights and historical places in Nebra

Tour Highlights:

1 Upper gate - Upper town
Travellers once passed through the Upper Gate from the heights of the Finne on an old trade route (the later Copper and Wine Route) to the Upper Town and on to the north.
Direction to the Unstrut. In the upper town there was the old castle (location 9) since about 1200, on whose place today the ruins of the Renaissance castle completed in 1601 can be seen.
can be seen. In the eastern course of the city wall, a defence tower can be seen in the garden of the old shooting house (site 10).
Breite Straße 42, 06642 Nebra

2 Parish gate - Upper town
The small gate (site 7), which was uncovered in 2003, provides an insight into the course of the city wall of the upper town. On the right side of the city wall stands the oldest house of Nebra, which gives information about devastating fires by means of inscriptions. During the 30 Years War, French cavalry regiments plundered the town and put it in
Fire. 1720 raged again a conflagration in Nebra, 46 houses were destroyed.
Wide street 16, 06642 Nebra

3 Reinsdorfer Tor - Lower Town
In 1563, a fortification tower was built above the Reinsdorf Gate, where the gatekeeper lived. The Latin inscription of a stone tablet in the opposite
House wall says that the tower was built under the then mayor Georg Henneberg. In stone was chiseled: "Where Got the city does not guard itself, so
is the Wechter power for nothing. Pawell. Oler." The stone relief shows two dogs fighting over a bone, which probably refers to disputes at that time between the
castle lords and the inhabitants of the town.
Reinsdorfer Straße 1, 06642 Nebra

4 Brewery Gate - Lower Town
Only little remains of the city wall and the brewery gate.
Remains of the gate walls are decorated with a relief of St. George on a horse (heraldic symbol since 1586) and on the opposite side a relief depicting the breakthrough of the
Unstrut through the red sandstone. If one left the city through the Brauhaustor, one arrived on an old trade route, the today's Grabenmühlenweg, in the old
Settlement area of Nebra on the Unstrut. At the end of the 18th century there was an upswing in the mining and processing of the red sandstone. Shipbuilding became established in Nebra,
larger ships now sailed as far as Hamburg and Berlin. Well-known buildings made of Nebra red sandstone include the Old National Gallery in Berlin and the Hamburg Stock Exchange.
Wide street 4, 06642 Nebra

5 Water Gate - Lower Town
Here, outside the city wall, was the only well from which the population could fetch water for drinking and cooking. The water for the cattle drew
one from the nearby Unstrut. Laundry was also washed and bleached there (hence the street name Bleichplan). It was not until 1813 that a water pipe was built from a well in the east to the market square. The course of the town wall can be clearly seen to the right and left of the site.
Waterway 2, 06642 Nebra

6 "Puddle", square with fountain and Buttenweib sculpture
This small square is popularly called "Puddle". It got this name when the inhabitants of the city still got the water from the well in front of the water gate (location
5) had to fetch. After carrying the heavy load in buckets and wooden chutes up the steep path, the porters placed the water containers on the square.
Water often sloshed out and small puddles formed. In memory of the heavy water carrying, which mostly women - "Die Buttenweiber" - did, this fountain was built in 1998 by the artist Christoph Weihe.
designed. The two bronze geese symbolize the rural character of the city of Nebra.
Wide street 12, 06642 Nebra

7 Renaissance arcades
The two-storey Renaissance arcades made of red sandstone visible in the courtyard belong to the former Schwerdt house at Breite Straße 16. The stone arcades with their unusual ornamentation are a splendid example of the German Renaissance period in the Unstrut valley. The open arcades with the adjoining vaults characterize the building as a commercial building.
Reinsdorfer Straße 1, 06642 Nebra

8 Market square, church, local history museum, red sandstone building
The rectangular market square forms the centre of the planned old town. The church was built in the late Gothic style, completed in 1415 and dedicated to St. George. The tympanum of the west portal depicts the battle between St. George and the dragon. The burgher houses of the Breite Straße present with their worked red sandstone the prosperity of their former owners.
Owner. The town's museum of local history highlights, among other things, life in the Bronze Age and the Nebra Sky Disk, Nebra's ancient crafts and the life of the writer Hedwig Courths-Mahler, who was born in Nebra. In 2000, the Hedwig Courths-Mahler Archive was declared the 36th FrauenOrt in Saxony-Anhalt.
Wide street 28, 06642 Nebra

9 Castle ruins, former estate with castle and park
In the 13th century a new castle was built on the red sandstone rock to the south. The builders were the Schenken von Nebra. In 1540 the brothers of Nißmitz had the castle demolished and built a castle on the same spot. The castle was occupied by the Swedes during the Thirty Years' War and gradually fell into ruin. Doors and window arches from different eras are still clearly visible today. In 1874, Kammerherr von Helldorff had a new castle built on the site of the former
The present castle was built in the neo-Renaissance style from the residential and farm buildings of 1747. The von Helldorff family managed the manor until it was expropriated in 1945.
Afterwards the castle was used as an administrative seat and in 1995 it was converted into a castle hotel.
Castle courtyard 4, 06642 Nebra

10 Old cemetery along the city wall, remains of the defence tower
The old cemetery was built outside the city wall due to lack of space. This ran from here in the direction of the church to the Reinsdorfer Tor. Later, a city park was laid out at this location, in which the war memorial for the fallen of World War I was erected in 1922. Today it stands in the cemetery on Wetzendorfer Straße. The remains of the only still preserved rectangular fortified tower of the medieval
City fortifications jut out over the roofs of the opposite property.

 Read more
  • Difficulty: extremely lightweight
  • Condition: extremely lightweight
  • always open

Tour itinerary:

Contact:

City information Nebra

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing