St. Anne's Church, which is originally romanesque, was rebuilt in baroque style in 1725 and is part of the castle ensemble.
Inspired by the parks and gardens in Wörlitz, the 67 hectare park was laid out between 1778 and 1784 by Carl Christoph von Hoffmann, the lord of the castle, and Gottlieb Schoch. The floodplain of the little river Reide was cleverly included in the extensive landscape design, which was typical of the Enlightenment period, and was accentuated by canals and terraced ponds.
Paths and seats provided many attractive vistas into the pleasure ground next to the castle. There were also views of small items of architecture and works of art surrounding the large millpond, including a Chinese water house and an Otahitian bathing house. Ornamental urns and obelisks were dedicated to Hoffmann's friends and relatives. After 1945, the park was neglected: the vistas became overgrown, ponds and canals silted up, buildings fell into disrepair and were demolished.
Supported by the friends of Dieskau Park, the municipality of Kabelsketal has been working since 1998 to return selected areas of the park to their original condition. Dieskau Park is a valuable habitat for many rare plant and animal species indigenous to the area, especially for about 90 breeding birds.
Park: freely accessible year-round
Castle: only open for guided tours
Lange Straße 18
06184 Kabelsketal/OT Dieskau
phone: +49 (0) 34605-33 200