Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Princely crypt tour


Burial place of the dukes of Saxony-Weissenfels

© Copyright by SCHAU! Multimedia

Description:

Visit the resting places of the dukes of Sachsen-Weißenfels.

The residence of the Dukes of Weißenfels "Schloss Neu-Augustusburg" in the form of a monumental three-winged complex was built on the foundation walls of the former Weißenfels castle between 1660 and 1694. Until 1746, the castle served as the residence of the Saxonian branch line Saxony-Weißenfels and quickly developed into a cultural stronghold. Johann Beer served at the Weißenfelser
Visit the resting places of the dukes of Sachsen-Weißenfels.

The residence of the Dukes of Weißenfels "Schloss Neu-Augustusburg" in the form of a monumental three-winged complex was built on the foundation walls of the former Weißenfels castle between 1660 and 1694. Until 1746, the castle served as the residence of the Saxonian branch line Saxony-Weißenfels and quickly developed into a cultural stronghold. Johann Beer served as ducal concertmaster at the Weißenfels court, while Johann Phillip Krieger held the position of court bandmaster. The personal physician of Duke Johann Adolf I of Weißenfels was a certain Georg Händel, who one day took his seven-year-old son with him to Weißenfels. In the presence of the Duke, the little Georg Friedrich Händel played the Schlosskirchen organ so impressively that the Duke convinced his father to provide a musical education for his son. Thus Weißenfels is considered the place where the talent of George Frideric Handel was discovered. Another world-class artist is also associated with Weißenfels Castle: Johann Sebastian Bach was the resident court conductor of Weißenfels. The Comedy Hall integrated into the south wing of the castle served as a stage for Caroline Neuber, for example. Opposite the Comedy Hall in the north wing is the impressive castle church of St. Trinitatis, which is still preserved today and is one of the most beautiful early baroque churches in Central Germany. Equipped with frescoes and magnificent stucco work by Italian masters as well as a Förner organ, the church holds another treasure in its cellars: The prince's crypt with magnificently decorated tin and wooden sarcophagi of the Dukes of Saxony-Weissenfels. The Museum Weißenfels in Neu-Augustusburg Castle today houses an exhibition on the Duchy of Saxony-Weißenfels and the history of the town. It also houses the largest shoe museum in the new federal states with shoes from all over the world and prominent personalities. The castle church with Förner organ as well as constantly changing special exhibitions can be visited during the opening hours of the museum.
 Read more
Price: 5,00 € per person, children under 6 years have free entry Dates: every last Saturday of the month, every hour 11-15

Kids:
under 6 years free
  • Cash payment
  • Bank transfer
by car:
via the A 9 and A 38

by plane:
Leipzig-Halle Airport. The distance is only about 35 km.

by public transport:
- directly in the city centre there is the railway station
- in the city centre is the bus station

by bike:
via the Saale cycle path
Princely tomb visits: every last Saturday of the month, except August, every hour 11-15

Where:

Address:

Museum Weißenfels in the castle Neu-Augustusburg

Zeitzer Strasse 4
06667 Weissenfels
Phone: +49 3443 / 2390017
E-mail: info@museum-weissenfels.de
website: http://www.weissenfels.de/de/schloss-neu-augustusburg.html

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing