To the west of Freyburg is the village of Burgscheidungen.
On a hill is the castle of the same name, one of the best-preserved and most striking Baroque buildings in Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt, and one which has been repeatedly renovated in the style of the times. The Italian terraced garden with its statues and a grotto courtyard gives the castle a majestic appearance, and can be seen from several kilometres away.
Probably one of the best-known inhabitants was Anna Constantia von Brockdorff, later the Countess von Cosel, who was famous for being the mistress of Augustus the Strong. She had previously been married to the then owner of the castle, Adolph Magnus von Hoym, and lived in the castle from 1699 to 1705.
Today the castle and its garden form part of the “Gartenträume Sachsen-Anhalt” project.
Restaurant & café opening times
Daily from 11.30 a.m.
Only Sat/Sun/public holidays
March - October
Thu-Sun/public holidays: 2 p.m. and by request