It is also one of the oldest and best-preserved medieval fortifications on the Romanesque Road.
The massive complex of buildings developed from the 9th century onwards within the early ramparts. Since the 10th century it has been the ancestral seat of the House of Querfurt. The most famous representatives of this family are St Bruno, who worked as a missionary and peacemaker in Eastern Europe and enjoyed great respect from the ruler and emperor at the time, Otto III, and Konrad von Querfurt, who as imperial chancellor prepared the crusade for Emperor Heinrich VI and accompanied him to the Holy Land as his political leader. Other sons of this family occupied the office of burgrave of Magdeburg, bishop of Hildesheim or the rank of archbishop of Magdeburg. However, in 1496 the male line of the dynasty died out.
The castle reflects the influence the nobility had at that time. The castle’s owners always made every effort to maintain it to the latest standard of defensive technology: it was protected by a double circular rampart system with walls up to 17 metres thick, and three cannon bastions from the late 15th century. There are three impressive castle towers, one of which, the so-called “Paris Tower”, can be climbed up to a height of 30 metres.
The Romanesque castle church holds the tomb of Gebhard XIV, which is a work of the famous Peter Paler School in Prague. Nowadays the castle church is used for a variety of cultural events, such as organ concerts.
In the former granary and arsenal is the oldest secular stonework in Saxony-Anhalt, with the building fabric dating from the 10th or 11th century. In 1535 it was renovated and extended under Cardinal Albrecht von Brandenburg, and it was given its present form after 1660. The museum has been housed in this building since 1952.
The Fürstenhaus is also interesting. The cellar of this prestigious residential building contains a Romanesque fireplace preserved in its original state. The Fürstenhaus is also a popular venue for wedding parties.
In the immediate vicinity of the castle is the district museum of agriculture. Old agricultural machinery from a Lanz Bulldog to an old combine harvester can be found here as well as a farmhouse furnished with original items.
Daily 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Daily 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.