Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Town church St. Wenzel with Hildebrandt organ

© Copyright by ©manuel frauendorf fotografie

Description:

The Evangelical Lutheran Town Church of St. Wenceslas is the main church of the town.

As the most prominent church building and landmark of the council town of Naumburg, the Wenzelskirche is one of the most significant buildings on the Saale. The late Gothic building from 1426 received its west portal in 1510/1520 and a baroque interior in 1724. The beautiful Hildebrandt organ is a jewel of baroque organ building tradition. Johann Sebastian Bach and Gottfried Silbermann took over the organ in 1746.
The Evangelical Lutheran Town Church of St. Wenceslas is the main church of the town.

As the most prominent church building and landmark of the council town of Naumburg, the Wenzelskirche is one of the most significant buildings on the Saale. The late Gothic building from 1426 received its west portal in 1510/1520 and a baroque interior in 1724. The beautiful Hildebrandt organ is a jewel of baroque organ building tradition. Johann Sebastian Bach and Gottfried Silbermann undertook the examination of this organ in 1746. The organ was extensively restored from 1993 to 2000. It is the only authentically preserved Bach organ in the world. From May to October, "Orgel punkt Zwölf" (30-minute organ concerts) take place on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays at 12:00.

The baroque high altar from 1680 and paintings from the workshop of Lucas Cranach the Elder are worthy of note. The gravestone of August Leubelfing, page of the Swedish king Gustav Adolf, is also remarkable. The steeple of the Lutheran Wenceslas Church is the highest tower in the city at 72 metres. It has a viewing platform in its steeple at a height of 53 metres, which is open daily from April to October. Six bells hang in the tower. The three larger ones were cast in 1518 by Martin Hilliger from Freiberg and have been hanging since 2000, restored, in a massive, late Gothic wooden belfry dating from 1521/23. In the tower lantern hangs the gate, school and confession bell from 1763 in addition to two clock chimes.
 Read more
April and November
weekdays Mon - Sat 13:00 - 15:00 hrs

May - October weekdays Mon - Sat 10:00 - 17:00 hrs
  • Bad weather offer
  • for all weathers
  • for school classes
  • for families
  • for individual guests
  • Suitable for seniors
  • for children (any age)
  • Suitable for prams
  • German
  • English
  • Cash payment
  • WC facility
  • Disabled access
entrance free
by car:
Motorway exit Naumburg, continue B 180 to Naumburg

with the train:
Naumburg main station, tram to Curt-Becker-Platz stop, then 3 min on foot

Where:

Address:

City church St. Wenceslas

Pot market
06618 Naumburg
Phone: +49 3445 / 201516
E-mail: info@kirche-naumburg.de
website: http://www.evangelische-kirche-naumburg.de/

You might also be interested in this

Share this contribution
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
share on xing